Is There Such A Thing As Conservative Theatre?

10:27 AM

(0) Comments

I just found this very fine post on the LA Stage Alliance Blog "LA Stage Blog" concerning "Conservative Theatre" It's pulls some of the same quotes as I did earlier this week on the Nichola Hytner quote. The blogger, Colin Mitchell, shared this experience as a playwright:

"Had a writing professor at Loyola Marymount tell me that unless I was an African-American female Lesbian my chances of getting a production in regional theatre were nil to zero - funny how the tables have turned and being an Anglo White Male doesn’t carry as much influence as it used to - at least not in theatre. Hell, I even had the AD of an Off-Broadway house - a man who was my teacher and absolutely LOVED my work - tell me, “We’re just doing ethnic one-person shows right now. It’s the only thing you can get funding for anymore.” I kid you not."


{Sigh.}

Stage Right

0 Responses to "Is There Such A Thing As Conservative Theatre?"

Post a Comment