Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » A Few Good (Liberal) Men

11:04 PM

(0) Comments

My latest post on Aaron Sorkin at Big Hollywood.

A Few Good (Liberal) Menby Stage Right

Aaron Sorkin really pisses me off.

And not for the reasons you might think.

Yes, he’s a liberal’s liberal. And he epitomizes all that Big Hollywood rails against. He infuses his politics into everything he writes. He purposefully paints most conservative characters with broad, stereotype strokes which leave them characterized as either stupid or evil. He makes liberal characters out to be earnest, hard-working idealists with hearts of gold. They are all intelligent and sympathetic and their only fault seems to be that they just care too much. Even when he’s writing about sportscasters or a sketch comedy show, liberal political positions come out of most of his character’s mouths as if they are given facts, gospel truths. When he does offer up a sympathetic character with conservative views (Ainsley Hayes or Harriet Hayes) they are “lone voices” that always seem to be outnumbered, shouted down or merely there as a foil for the lead character (heroic liberal) to intellectually vivisect for the happy ending.

But, no, that’s not why he pisses me off. He pisses me off because he’s SO DAMN GOOD!

Sitting in the Music Box theatre for the first public performance of A Few Good Men was one of the most electric theatrical experiences of my life. The energy from that cast as they worked the not-yet-legendary “Sorkinese” was something to behold. If you get a kick out of following the characters on “Sports Night” or “West Wing” as they meander the hallways of their workplace trading rapid-fire verbal barbs that make the Algonquin look like an I-Hop, then you really need to experience Sorkin’s work live in the theatre. There’s nothing like being in the same room with the actors and being part of the pace and build and crescendo of his scenes.

And although Sorkin has devoted most of the past fifteen years to television drama, I would contend that each episode of “Sports Night” or “West Wing” or the under-appreciated “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” were mini-plays. They were structured like plays and mostly worked within the confines of two or three sets that could have been constructed on a proscenium stage. Sorkin is a man of the theatre and that’s one of the reasons he is so good at character, plot and dialogue (you know, the three things writing used to be about).

Now, of course, the fact that he is so good is not what really pisses me off… but it’s part of it. You see, because he’s so good, I know that he could write a play with a conservative protagonist. I know he could make that conservative person intelligent, and heroic and I know he could get the whole audience rooting for him. I can prove it. Pretend you don’t know the end of “A Few Good Men.” Pretend you haven’t already spent 90 minutes rooting for Tom Cruise and Demi Moore (Demi in a Navy uniform no less!). Pretend you don’t already know that the Col. Jessup character is sinister in some way… now read this:

Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men
with guns. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater
responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the
Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know:
that Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence,
while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don’t want the
truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties you want me on
that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We
use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a
punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a
man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and
then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said
“thank you,” and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a
weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are
entitled to.

Sorkin’s words are powerful, patriotic and true. But, they are used in a context that paint the Col. Jessup character into an evil, twisted and angry man. Couldn’t this dialogue been used for a protagonist instead of a villain? Sorkin could do it…. he could. He doesn’t want to. I don’t believe that because he is a liberal he is incapable of writing a sympathetic conservative character. There is too much in the script of “A Few Good Men” that betrays his respect, understanding and admiration of the military.

Dawson: We joined the Marines because we wanted to live our lives by a
certain code, and we found it in the Corps. Now you’re asking us to sign a piece
of paper that says we have no honor. You’re asking us to say we’re not Marines.
If a court decides that what we did was wrong, then I’ll accept whatever
punishment they give. But I believe I was right sir, I believe I did my job, and
I will not dishonor myself, my unit, or the Corps so I can go home in six
months… Sir.
-----------------------------------------------------
Kaffee: A crime? What crime did he commit? Lieutenant Kendrick? Dawson
brought a hungry guy some food… what crime did he commit?

Lt. Kendrick: He disobeyed an order!

Kaffee: And because he did. Because he exercised his own set of values.
Because he made a decision about the welfare of another Marine which was in
conflict with an order of yours he was punished. Isn’t that right.

Lt. Kendrick: Lance Corporal Dawson disobeyed an order!

Kaffee: Yeah, but it wasn’t a real order, was it? I mean it’s peace time.
He wasn’t being asked to secure a hill or advance on a beach head. Surely a
Marine of Dawson’s intelligence can be trusted to determine, on his own, which
are the really important orders and which orders might, say, be morally
questionable? Lieutenant Kendrick? Can he? Can Dawson determine on his own which
orders he’s going to follow?

Lt. Kendrick: No, he
cannot.
--------------------------------------------------
Lt. Weinberg: Why do you like them so much?

Galloway: Because they stand upon a wall and say, “Nothing’s going to hurt
you tonight, not on my watch.”

He can do it. I think any good writer can do it. God knows there are many conservative writers in Hollywood forced to work on product that goes against their ideals, but they do it because they are talented writers and that is their job. Sorkin is so damn good.

He could do it to. But he chooses not to.

And that pisses me off.

Stage Right is on Facebook.

Stage Right

0 Responses to "Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » A Few Good (Liberal) Men"

Post a Comment